University of California, Riverside

Department of Mechanical Engineering

Graduate Admissions

Admission Requirements


Applications for admission are rated in terms of academic scholarship and preparation.

    • Applicants should have a degree in engineering or closely related fields, have a satisfactory overall GPA from their undergraduate studies (above 3.0 on 4.0 scale). Students with undergraduate degrees outside of engineering, who meet the above criteria, may be required to complete remedial undergraduate course work before being granted official admission into the ME graduate program. This remedial work may not be used to satisfy graduate degree requirements.
    • Graduate Record Exam (GRE) general test scores are required for all applicants. The minimal GRE score required to be admitted is 1100 (old scoring method) or 300 (new scoring method). The 300 or 1100 minimum is derived by taking the sum of the verbal and quantitative scores.
    • Students from non-English speaking countries also must receive a minimum TOEFL score of 550(paper based), 213(computer based), and 80(internet based).

Financial Support

Financial support is available for graduate students through fellowships, research assistantships, and teaching assistantships. Admissions with financial support will begin to be processed by early January. However, we will continue to review applications and admit students throughout the academic year. Since the number of students we can admit each year is limited, we encourage all applicants to submit their application materials as soon as possible.  Please note that we only offer financial support to international applicants during the Fall application period.  All international Winter and Spring applicants must be self-supported.

Transfer of Credits

Petitions to the Graduate Division for transfer of credits will be considered by the Graduate Program Committee when the work is necessary to fulfill graduate degree requirements.

The total number of units that a student will be allowed to transfer into their graduate record at UCR from institutions from non-UC campuses is eight (8) quarter credits. These units must have been taken in graduate status in an institution of recognized standing and must have been passed with a grade of "B" or better. These units cannot be used to reduce the minimum residency requirement or the minimum requirement in 200 series courses taken at UCR.

Credit for graduate work completed at other UC campuses may be granted in excess of the eight units. Up to one-half of the units required for a Master's degree may be transferred from other UC campuses including 200 series unit requirements. Students receive both units and grade point for this work when it is transferred to UCR. Approval from both the Graduate Program Committee and the Graduate Division must be obtained before such units can be accepted for credit.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
446 Winston Chung Hall

Tel: (951) 827-5190
Fax: (951) 827-3188